Thursday 8 May 2008

Vasco & Piero's Pavilion (Soho)


After really looking forward to visiting Vasco & Piero's for some time (I'd read so many reviews from the trusty London Eating site) I was thoroughly underwhelmed by the whole experience.

Working just round the corner and walking past the restaurant on my way to work everyday I thought it looked pretty perfect. Two new menu's everyday, using the freshest seasonal ingredients. The restaurant seems to pride itself on the fact it uses on 3 ingredients per dish. I thought this would also make for tasty, simple Italian cooking. It didn't.

My boyfriend's ravioli starter was undercooked (not so much al dente as just plain chewy) and under-filled. My ragu was severely disappointing - lack of flavour and not really lacking the richness I was expecting.

Our main's were well cooked but not exactly a taste sensation. My lamb cutlets were well cooked, but really nothing special. My boyfriend's cod in a herb crust was lacking in a herb crust. Desserts were fine, but again, nothing to write home about.

Service was good if a tad over-eager. No sooner had you replaced your cutlery, then the plates had been whisked away. The atmosphere was nice and cosy. The tables were close together, but this wasn't a huge issue.

All in all, slightly disappointing. Or had I just had my hopes raised a little high? At £30 for 3 courses I would really expect more (I know this is central London, but there really are lots better places around Soho).

No comments: