Wednesday 30 July 2008

Petrus, The Berkeley Hotel


This was the ultimate treat - Marcus Wareing's 2 Michelin Star restaurant. A little extravagant for a Monday lunchtime. But it was Tom's birthday, exams were over and, after all, we had a £100 voucher :-)

So the food went something like this:

Amuse bouche: absolutely delicious foie gras with a parmesan crisp (I think); hummus (the best I've ever tasted!); cucumber gazpacho; cheese straws

Starters: I had the crab terrine which was deliciously crabby and the apple salad it was served with was lovely. Tom had the foie gras which he said was quite possibly the best thing he's ever eaten. It was served with a shredded duck crispy bun and hollandaise sauce. It doesn't get much richer; or, apparently, much better.

Mains: I had the lamb which was cooked for perfection and the 'lavender' sauce was absolutely gorgeous. Tom had the pork belly (well he did until we swapped half way). It was, without doubt, the nicest thing I have ever eaten. The pork belly was succulent, yet still crispy, and so, so, so tasty.

We then had a cheese course which was fantastic. Some of the strongest cheese I've ever eaten. Mmmmm.

Bizarrely the palate cleanser was also amazing (is it weird for that to be one the highlights of the meal?). It was orange jelly, bramley apple and vanilla custard. Oh. My. God. It was AMAZING!

For dessert I had the custard tart which was cooked to perfection - any more wobbly and it would have been a mess on the plate. The strawberry ripple ice-cream it was served with was sensational. Tom's raspberry's and ice-cream with a lemonade sauce were also fantastic.

The we had bon bons (mmmmm) and coffee. And then we went for a lie down.

The service was the best I've ever received (attentive but not overpowering, polite but not snooty). At £180 for lunch it was expensive, but I think worth every penny for a real treat.

So all in all, pretty much 11/10. The best meal I've ever eaten and I can't wait to go back (but my bank isn't so keen).

No comments: