Thursday 17 July 2008

Brasserie James (Balham High Road)

We'd been dying to visit Brasserie James since the sad departure of Tabaq (which did the best Chicken Tikka Massala I have ever eaten!). The Head Chef (Craig James) has set up his own venture after leaving Quaglino's. The blogs I read said that he was aiming to create a 'true neighbourhood restaurant' - ooh yes, sounds lovely! On my walk home from the tube I can't think of a better (and more dangerous) spot to be popping in every time I fancy a meal out!

We'd been really keen to go and I booked a table for the opening night. Both my boyfriend and I weren't disappointed. The atmosphere was lovely (good music, not too loud), nice decor and the staff were lovely (if a little slow at getting to grips with their PDA's for ordering). The patio area outside is also a nice touch for the summer. The food was good as well. I had snails to start (a first for me), and my boyfriend went for the chicken liver salad that was absolutely delicious. The liver was cooked to absolute perfection.

My steak main course was also good, as was my boyfriend's chicken risotto. The highlight of the evening was the desserts. The creme brulee was pretty much one of the best I've ever eaten and my raspberry and white chocolate millefeuille was also very tasty (although perhaps a little sharp?).

The menu was huge, but definitely enough to keep you coming back. The brunch and lunch menu also looks great - definitely looking forward to trying that out as well!

No comments: